Friday, August 28, 2009

Confessions of a Country Girl part 4

On Mother’s day we brought home our new “furbaby” Augusta or “Gus” as we like to call her. We didn’t formally adopt her until to 20th of May, just to make sure that she would be a good fit for our family and that her and Laci did indeed get along, we did a 10 day foster period. When I went out to the shelter the day that we formally adopted her in our “mountain” of paperwork that I got was a coupon for a free wellness exam at the local veterinary service in town. When I got home from doing all the paperwork and such I called and set up the appointment. Fast forward to the next Wednesday….We go to our appointment and everything is going well until the vet starts feeling around. And finds not 1, not 2, but 5 mammary tumors on Gus.

When we adopted Gus we were told that she had been given a complete wellness exam and everything was great…All she was missing was her rabies shot and her heartworm test. So it came as quite a shock to find out that our cute little furbaby had 5 mammary tumors. We’ve been all over the place emotionally with this one. Gus is officially adopted in my name so this has really hurt me alot. I feel taken advantage of and cheated. My parents are just flat out pissed and feel that the shelter we adopted her from did basically NOTHING for her while she was there other than take her outside, feed her, water her and get her spayed.

Now we are faced with the decision to have a really expensive surgery done on Gus to have the tumors removed or don’t. We’ve been here before. Last November we had our 19 year old Black Lab/Cocker mix put down and we were almost 100% sure that she did have cancer. She had tumor on the top of her head and a couple along her back as well. But because of her age the vet wouldn’t do surgery. This sort of thing takes it’s toll on you emotionally and PHYSICALLY also. I’ve cried a bunch over this and I have a feeling I’m not done crying over it either.

……To be continued

No comments: